Thursday, January 12, 2006

Free Pattern- Snake Scarf

I made a snake scarf for the Little Man for Christmas. the size is not set in stone, so use what ever size needles you like. I used size 8 and worsted green Encore, a small amount of black for eyes and tongue and a crocket hook to help make the tassel tongue. It is worked from the tail upwards.



KFB- knit into front and back of stitch

K2tog- knit 2 together

SSK- Slip, slip, knit

Start Tail
Cast on 3 stitches. Knit 5 rows (garter stitch)
Kfb, K1, Kfb (5 stitches)
Knit 5 rows
K1, kfb, K1, kfb, K1 (7 stitches)

Knit 5 rows

K1, kfb, K3, kfb, k1 (9 stitches)

Knit 5 rows

K1, kfb, K 5, kfb, K1 (11 stitches)

Knit 5 rows

K1, kfb, K7, kfb, K1 (13 stitches)

Knit 5 rows

K1, kfb, K9, kfb, K1 (15 stitches)

Knit 5 rows

K1, kfb, k11, kfb, k1 (17 stitches)

Knit 5 rows

K1, kfb, K13, kfb, K1 (19 stitches)

knit 5 rows

K1, kfb, K15, kfb, K1 (21 stitches)

Knit 5 rows

K1, kfb, K17, kfb, K1 (23 stitches)



Work in garter stitch until piece measures 36 inches from cast on edge.



Begin to shape neck

K1, k2tog, K17, K2tog, K1 (21 stitches)

K1, k2tog, K15, K2tog, K1 (19)

K1, k2tog, k13, K2tog, K1 (17)

K1, K2tog, k11, k2tog, k1 (15)

K1, k2tog, k9, k2tog, k1 (13)

Knit 2 rows


K1, kfb, k9, kfb, k1 (15)

K1, kfb, k11, kfb, k1 (17)

K1, kfb, k13, kfb, k1 (19)

K1, kfb, k15, kfb, k1 (21)

K1, kfb, k17, kfb, k1 (23)

Work 10 rows garter stitch



Shape snout

K1, k2tog, k17, k2tog, k1 (21)

Knit 5 rows

K1, k2tog, k15, k2tog, k1 (19)

Knit 5 rows

K1, k2tog, K13, k2tog, k1 (17)

Knit 5 rows

K1, k2tog, k11, k2tog, k1 (15)

Knit 5 rows

K1, k2tog, k9, k2tog, k1 (13)

Knit 5 rows

SSK, K9, K2tog (11)

Knit 1 row

SSK, K7, K2tog (9)

Bind off


Embroider on black eyes, take 3 pieces of red yarn double the length that you want the tongue to be. Fold in half, using crochet hook pull red yarn through at middle of snout, then pull ends through, making tassel of 6 strings. Braid strands evenly, two pieces to a section. Tie in knot at end and snip to make even. Ssssssss...
There were errors in the orginal pattern, but I believe they are now fixed.
Thanks! Moe

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've browsed a couple of your patterns. You're a complete hoot! Thanks for putting yourself out there and a grin on my face! I look forward to seeing what else you create!

Jackie said...

Hi! I hopped on over here from the Lonesome Skein knitalong, I really like your scarf. What kind of yarn did you use?

Anonymous said...

Super cute! Not just for kids. :-) I may make this for myself. Nice directions too. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the scarf. In fact, the little guy that I made, he loved it too and so did his grandma. I have to make one for her, granted it has to be pink because that is her favourite color, of course.

Anonymous said...

I have read on other sites that I have several errors in this pattern. It was the first pattern I wrote and I would appreciate if people could tell me how I messed it up so I can fix it. I have looked at it, but probably would have to make it again to see the errors.
Thanks, Moe

Lesley Wood said...

Hello, it is me again. I still love your snake scarf pattern, I am opening up a website to sell my crochet items including teddy bears, scarves, as well as handmade cards. I would love to use your pattern and of course, I would give you credit and even put a link for your website.

But I need your answer as SOON as possible since I would like to include it, but can't if you do not tell me.

FunkyMoe said...

Lesley,
Use it, no problem.
Moe